Welcome to the Application Process for Admission to the

Rolfing® Structural Integration Certification Program

These steps will guide you through the admissions process:

Before you apply to the Rolfing Certification Program, you will need to have the following documents:
  • A valid High School diploma or recognized equivalent (state requirement).
    • High schools are defined as valid diploma-granting institutions if they have met any of the following requirements:

      • Is Regionally Accredited

      • Is registered with the State Division of Non-Public Education as a homeschool

    • Secondary institutions outside of Colorado will be determined as valid based on the above information, given the institution’s state department of education.

  • One of the following:
    1. An official academic transcript, equivalent to an AA degree or occupational certificate, showing at least 60 credit hours at an institution of adult or higher education.
    2. Documentation of a minimum of four years of equivalent career experiences and professional accomplishments.
  • A federal- or state-issued ID and solo headshot photograph (for identification purposes).
  • International Students only: Copy of passport ID page and TOEFL test scores.
  • A resume of professional experience.
  • Three professional reference letters (1-2 pages maximum length).

International Students enrolling in Boulder, CO only: Please indicate the need for an I-20/M-1 Visa and submit your completed application, including a copy of your passport ID page and official TOEFL scores, no later than 60 days prior to the class start date.

Note: Only students attending the Rolfing Certification Program in Boulder, CO are eligible to receive an I-20/M-1 Visa.

Admission Requirements also include:

  • Non-refundable $50 Enrollment Application fee ($100 for students enrolled in South Africa, which includes the Administrative fee).
    • The fee will be refunded if the student is not admitted or has not signed an enrollment agreement.
  • Verification of having received a complete Rolfing Ten-Series from a Certified Rolfer. DIRI reserves the right to require a physician's release for any student.
  • Three Rolf Movement® sessions, from a Certified Rolf Movement Practitioner, must be received by the end of Phase II.
    • One session is due before the start of Phase II of the training.
    • Costs vary by practitioner. Contact for a list of Rolf Movement practitioners near you.
  • Approval of an application and required enrollment forms.
  • A written 2-3 page personal life experience essay.
For Students applying for the Regional Certification Program, or who plan to transfer hours into the Rolfing Certification Program you will need to have the additional following documents:
  • Proof of completion of a minimum 250-hour bodywork program.
    • Students must submit an official transcript that shows at least 47 hours of Anatomy, 21 hours of Physiology, 45 hours of Massage or other approved touch training, and 15 hours of Therapeutic Relationship.
  • 50 documented hours of post-graduate massage practice experience or comparable clinical experience.

Students study Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Physiology from the distinct perspective of Rolfing SI. All students must pass the Dr. Ida Rolf Institute's Life Sciences Exam to advance to Phase II.

Military Veterans, Spouses, and Dependents enrolling in Boulder, CO only: The Rolf Institute® is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veterans Education and Training benefits.

  • You will be asked to provide a copy of your DD-214 and/or Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid office.
  • Veterans using Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits will be required to obtain approval from their Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor prior to enrolling in the program.

Please be advised that because DIRI is a Non-College Degree (NCD) School, students using Chapter 33 VA Education Benefits will exhaust between 12 and 12 ½ months for this program. For more information contact the VA Education Benefits Hotline at 888-442-4551.

Note: Only students attending the Rolfing Certification Program in Boulder, CO are eligible to use their Veteran's Education Benefits.

Click Here to check eligibility requirements with the VA.Click Here to Apply for VA Education Benefits.


DIRI is also a participant in the Federal Financial Aid Title IV funds program. We are approved to administer the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Student Loans. For more information on Federal Aid, or to speak with our Financial Aid Department, call 303-449-5903, ext 107, or email for more information and details.


This institution has AGREED to Executive Order 13607 "Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses, and Other Family Members"

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • Complete the Prospective Student Application Form.
    • Students attending in South Africa will need to contact the Director of Admissions at to begin the Application Process. 
  • Pay the Application Fee.
  • Receive your username and temporary password by email (the temporary password will expire if not changed).
  • Go to the Canvas Learning Management System, using the link from the email, to start the Admissions Process course.
  • Read the online instructions.
  • Complete and/or submit the requested forms.
Note: The Admissions Process is structured like an online class where the requirements are structured like assignments.
  • Alert the Director of Admissions stating that your application is complete
  • Wait to be notified of the status of your application.
  • Read student policies provided within the Admissions Course, including the Student Code of Conduct, Copyright Infringement, DIRI Drug & Alcohol Policy, and FERPA.
  • Ask any remaining questions.
  • Receive the Enrollment Agreement from the Director of Admissions.
  • Return to the Admissions Process course on Canvas and upload the completed Enrollment Agreement to the respective assignment in the Enrollment Module.
  • Receive registration links from the Director of Admissions.
  • Enroll in your phases using the online registration system and the provided links. Pay the deposits ($900 total for the 731-hour Rolfing Certification Program in Boulder, CO; $300 total for the 600-hour Regional Rolfing Certification Program.)
  • Return to the Admissions Process course and complete the Registration Confirmation form, entering your invoice numbers in the text boxes for your phases.

Please read through. As part of your Enrollment Agreement, you will be asked to acknowledge that you have read and understand this information.

Further, The Dr. Ida Rolf Institute does not guarantee job placement or the acceptance of transfer hours to other bodywork programs. Click HERE for Placement and Career Services information.


Rolfing® Structural Integration (SI) is regulated and licensed in some states like massage, or some other form of bodywork, and in other states is exempt altogether from licensure. Some states may require that Rolfing SI graduates complete additional, in-state classes, or even an approved massage program to receive a license to practice. Other states may require Rolfing SI graduates to pass the MBLEx, an exam given through the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards (FSMTB).

As you prepare to apply to the Dr. Ida Rolf Institute® (DIRI), it is essential that you contact your state licensing agency and determine the requirements for you to practice in the state where you reside. Graduating with a Rolfing certificate is necessary for you to practice as a Rolfer®, but it may not be sufficient.

Students must plan for the steps they will need to take to have a successful, legal practice.  

As a nonprofit 501(c)(3) educational organization, DIRI may not lobby government agencies. However, we do work closely with the International Association of Structural Integration (IASI) to support the field and Structural Integration practitioners' right to work. Additionally, DIRI recognizes and supports the Certification Board for Structural Integration (CBSI) which offers the Certification Exam for Structural Integration (CESI). Some states accept this exam, instead of the MBLEx, and fully recognize board-certified Structural Integration.

All Dr. Ida Rolf Institute graduates are encouraged to take the CESI after graduation.  For more information click HERE.

A list of state licensing contacts may be found below. Please note that regulations and legislation constantly change. Students are responsible for checking with the proper state or municipal agency (city, county, parish, etc.) for the most up-to-date requirements.

Click HERE to access an optional Licensing Plan Worksheet to get you started.

Licensing and State Regulation

While Rolfing is exempt from licensure in the state of Colorado, massage therapy is not. If you are a massage therapist in the state of Colorado and plan to also practice Rolfing® SI, you are required to apply for licensure through the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA), 1560 Broadway, Suite 110, Denver, CO 80202
(303) 894-7855 - Phone
(800) 886-7675 - Toll-Free
(303) 894-7885 - Fax

Graduates of the DIRI Rolfing (SI) Certification program are not required to obtain licensure to solely practice Rolfing in the following 13 states.

  1. Alaska
  2. Colorado
  3. Georgia- see definition
  4. Idaho
  5. Illinois
  6. Indiana
  7. Maine
  8. Massachusetts
  9. Minnesota - does not license MT at a state level
  10. Montana
  11. New Mexico
  12. Wisconsin
  13. Wyoming - does not regulate MT at this time

Rolf Movement® is exempt from licensure in the following three states, which means that graduates are not required to obtain a license if they plan to solely practice Rolf Movement in the state. Rolfing Structural Integration does require a Massage Therapy license in these states.

  1. Iowa
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Rhode Island

Requirements for other states may vary so please check with the state or local agency (city, county, parish, etc.) in which you plan to practice.

If you plan to practice as both a Rolfer® and a Massage Therapist in a state that requires a Massage Therapy license but has a Rolfer exemption, to practice Rolfing SI you are required to apply for a massage license through the state's Regulatory Agency.

Click HERE for the full list of state regulations (current as of February 2024).

**Disclaimer: The Dr. Ida Rolf Institute® is not liable for the content of this guideline. All information contained herein is subject to change at any time from the various state and local agencies involved with professional licensure. It is imperative to check directly with those agencies for current information. DIRI does its best to update the requirements as needed.

Please note that local municipal ordinances may apply in the absence of State Regulation so please check with the local agency in which you choose to practice.